Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rain, rain, go away...

I have had enough rain. Now, I want to spend time outside everyday, every minute. My garden gets little snippets of my time, a bit of weeding here, a bit of tilling there. I never have a whole dry week to keep going on any one chore. My attempts at planting, fertilizing, building beds, are up one minute, down the next, as I anticipate the next deluge.

I have dreamed of a beautiful garden every year. And every year I have spent hundreds of hours scouring nurseries and bringing home beautiful plants that do well for one season. I make adjustments, eliminate some plants,reevaluate my vision, ask the natives what works well on this coast.

By August, I beg for the rain to return, for clouds and mist and cool days. Even on the coast, summer is dry and windy, irritating to the skin and the eyes. Come to think of it, Spring is not so bad. The sun peeks out every day, or almost every day and beckons me to be outdoors. Then, a gentle shower helps my new seedlings grow and keeps my roses growing. I can get used to this.

No comments: