Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Who needs Paris?

I do. Now that I can't sleep much at all, having a whole bunch of pictures to peruse during the wee hours of the morning is a wonderful way to pass the time. This weekend, we can reconnect. We'll pick up a baguette and some pate for Sunday brunch.

We had landed in Paris early in the morning, but the tour folks were hard to find. Hubby and I had our first French fight. He read the instructions regarding meeting the tour guide at some landmark right at the airport; I read the same and interpreted them differently, going up and down the elevators trying to find the correct exit.Hubby assumed the French I knew would be sufficient for airport navigation; I suddenly fixated on the wrong words, not aligning signs with instructions. What a mess.

That evening, we had our first view of the city and of course, of the illuminated landmark, the stars in the middle signifying the special time when France presided over the European Union. Hubby took this picture with his phone camera. His real camera needed batteries. For the rest of our vacation in France, we dropped into camera and electronic shops looking for batteries and/or recharge cables, neither of which we could obtain.

While I shopped for soaps, tapenades, nougat, hats and scarfs, Hubby stopped at electronic shops He did a lot of waiting for the right person to assist him. He'd come out frustrated because not enough people could speak English. He should have learned French in high school like the rest of us. If only he'd start with Bonjour.

As I rested at the hotel, Hubby walked down the block, and stopped to do a very French thing: purchase a baguette and some pate.

20 comments:

Natalie said...

Oui, sounds delightful.xx♥

Jinksy said...

Mmm - mouthwatering brunch. Merci beaucoup...

Mary said...

From what I can gather - the french certainly know how to fight - but boy do they know how to make up! Was it truly a French fight? Hope so ;)

Kikit said...

I need Paris too. If I could, I would travel around the world and take as many pictures as I can.

Too bad about the batteries. :(

Woman in a Window said...

I would love to have the opportunity to be disoriented in Paris. Just once.

Renee said...

What a great picture, and with a cell phone yet. Wow.

How come you can't sleep is it the pills?

I'm worried about Cheryl (Lizzy) I haven't seen her lately. I am going to go over there now.

Love Renee

janis said...

How Lovely! I have never seen a shot of the efle tower so pretty at night!

Fire Byrd said...

Baguette and pate....yum couldonly be made better if there was camanbert cheese to go along with it!
Good to revisit places even if it's in our heads.
Hope the sleep thing gets sorted insomnia is the pits.
xx

Tessa said...

Mmmm, the City of Light - a delightful revisit!

Speaking of sufficient French, I remember picking up our younger daughter on her return to England from her first solo voyage to Paris. 'Mummy,' she said the moment she untangeled herself from my hug and looked around her 'Thank god they speak English here...'

Cynthia Pittmann said...

Oh, I think I must do that some day, too, ie, walk down a Paris street and buy a baguette. My husband and I bought a poor substitute at Sams...sigh...I can dream...we have some Brie, olives and caper...I think I will go heat it up now! Enjoyed the post and the visit. Come by Oasis when you can...I'm a blog out of tropical Puerto Rico <3

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to hear about the rest of your trip! Thanks for bringing along the laptop.
I've never been to Paris...

Helen said...

I have seen hundreds and hundreds of photos of the Eiffel Tower ~ and I've seen it twice in person. However, this cell phone photo captures the essence, mystery and beauty of the Tower in an amazing way. Thank you so much for sharing it. I have saved it in my inspiration folder ......

French Fancy... said...

I adore Paris. We are about 3.5 hours on a train from there and go every few months. It has replaced my home town of London as my favourite city in the world (although I've not been to them all so it's not really a fair contest).

Everyone should go to Paris at least once in their lives.

Alice said...

What a strange coincidence! I miss it so much already, and I haven't been gone 24 hours. Paris is the most wonderful place in the world. I hope you're enjoying it as much as I did

Alice x

Cheryl Cato said...

As you may know I had my first trip to Paris last December. Neither Gerald nor I speak French; however, I ALWAYS remembered to say Bonjour before I asked (or attempted to ask) a question, order from the menu, or pay for an item. I constantly had to remind the G-man to do the same ...
Giving a greeting prior to getting to business is so civilized!

Debbie said...

I didn't take French either. I can feel your husband's pain!

Rosaria Williams said...

Bonjour,

This was our first trip to France, last September. If you want to read more about these adventures, go to my late September/October posts.

We hope to return, one of these days, when the economy turns around. Thank you all for stopping by. It is always a pleasure sharing with friends.

Eleonora Baldwin said...

Mmh, I wondered where you were yesterday, when I didn't read your post. You were off to Paris, scoffing on bread and duck liver, you!

Sorry to comment this late, my Reader thing sends me posts in jumbled order.
Next time you decide to elope to Paris, do give me a ring so I can tag along. Parmigiano beats French cheese 1-0, but they do know their wine, damnit. Ciao cara

A Woman Of No Importance said...

J'adore Paris, Rosaria - And this is such an enchanting shot of the Tour Eiffel... It is ever changing, is it not, and becoming more and more diverse, which I think just adds to the beauty of the city. Thank you for this petit morceau!

Nahjeane said...

I struggled with the language as well! I memorised some French phrases before I went, but the only one I could remember apart from "merci beaucoup" and "bonjour" was "je suis perdue" (meaning I'm lost) which I didn't get to use (thank goodness!).