Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

An Update and a preview...



This summer is a mixed bag. My garden has been delayed by weather and other circumstances beyond my control. By now, I should be harvesting favas, peas, onions, broccoli... I blame the wet and cool weather as well as the many crows that are now making their nests in these trees.  Last year, bluejays invaded this space, the year before, moles and rabbits.  Everyone comes to the water in the summer.

Two of our big machines, the tractor and the weed whacker broke down. Two of our bathrooms were upgraded, taking months, with people in and out of the house.  My daughter  had surgery and I was gone to her place to provide assistance.  My husband needed emergency dental care that pushed everything else aside, including the mowing and weed whacking with the new machines we purchased.  Plus, we had company!  And we are expecting more.

No wonder my head is spinning and I'm taking refuge in my new blog. Real Food
There, I can stay positive and calm . Cooking relaxes me.

This is really typical summer stuff here.
All winter and spring we live predictable lives.
Then, the rain stops, weeds take over, fences need mending and we are outdoors getting hurt and tired.
Ah, the fun of summer.
The expenses of summer.
The excitement will last us for the next nine months.
I'll keep you posted so you can send your sympathy cards this way. I should be feeling sorry for you in sweltering mid western heat.
 I do. Hope your weather improves.

23 comments:

Alexandra MacVean said...

Sorry to hear of your struggles and all. I do hope that something starts improving for the better for you. I'm looking forward to reading along your new blog and keeping up with the food and grandkids. :)

Always thinking of you, even if I don't make it by on a regular basis. Hugs!

Helen said...

We could use a little of your rain over here ... a day or so ago I couldn't even see the mountains for all the smokey haze. Over 6,000 acres burned ~ horrific! Stay healthy and happy ... both you and husband.

rjerdee said...

Sounds exhausting!!! Yes, we're hot over here but every now and then a cool front comes from over your way and we can breathe again. Thanks! I'll be checking out Real Food because I know you're a great cook and I could learn a lot from you.

mermaid gallery said...

Don't sweat the weed whacking. The overgrown look is Mother Nature's best work. Your pond is such a gift for critters....you are in the middle of a small paradise...but health issues do take over our lives sometimes...... hope all that gets better.

Unknown said...

Hope all is better soon! Seems like you've had a lot on your plate!

Wander to the Wayside said...

We're not getting anything done in northwest Georgia, either. In fact, we're not leaving the air conditioned houses or cars unless it's an emergency as it's been 350degrees with 85% humidity - truly miserable. So, like you, the weeds and grass grow undisturbed, the bugs flourish instead of the veggies, and the chores will just have to wait til fall. So I'm with you on taking refuge on the computer!

Brian Miller said...

thanks for the wishes on the hhave to go ut and mow in it today...ack. sorry about your tractor...that may be a blessing for me..smiles. i enjoy it once i get started, its the getting started...

glad you have that refuge...its good to get away there at times...

ellen abbott said...

summer has been a struggle for us too. riding mower and central had to be replaced. My daughter had to have emergency surgery and then all the visits from the g'kids. It's just to darn hot here to even think about going out side , much less do anything.

potsoc said...

Well we had it, up to now, much warmer than usual and a lot dryer. As a matter of fact the warmer and dryer of the last 50 years or so.
Our lakes and rivers are so low that at the nearby marina, on the St-Lawrence river, some boats could not be launched yet and ocean going liners coming to Montreal had to unload part of their freight lower down the river.
Meanwhile people are drowning in Europe and Asia. Crazy palnet.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Things have been damp here too, in UTAH! of all places, a desert region where it doesn't rain much at all this time of year. We actually turned off our sprinkler system for a couple weeks.

Carol Murdock said...

"everyone comes to the water in summer" Ha! I love it!

Tabor said...

No major set backs here ... just the awful heat, humidity and lack of rain. The lawn which we spent so much money on in years before looks like a field of crab grass. I am too hot to care!

L. D. said...

Many times I am glad winter comes so I can just take the outside chores and responsibilities off my list of to do's.

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

to each season, jobs to be done, not all at once, but in segments to prepare for spring again...stay well and be happy...

Rob-bear said...

Give a weed an inch, and it will take a yard. You did, and the weeds took the whole yard (or a significant portion thereof). That happened to us, too, with all our rain this year, and then the sudden August heat wave.

Next year we'll get it right. Right?

xxx said...

Sometimes it is so good to be alive that it just hurts :)

I am happy for you that you have an outlet for calm.

xxx

Unspoken said...

New blog :)? I will visit, of course!

Suburbia said...

I wish you a peaceful winter to recover with!

Arkansas Patti said...

Well you can't say it has been boring.
Do hope peace is on you plate. I'll go now to see what else is.

Rachel Cotterill said...

Cooking is a great way to relax - I'm off to have a look at your other blog now :)

the walking man said...

I'll take the sweat and heat over the litany you have provided for me to be able to say "glad it ain't me"

Unknown said...

Ah, life on a daily basis.

What About The Girl? said...

Why am I not surprised that you always have guests?? :-)