Pick a page, any page.
I just conducted an experiment. I chose these memoirs, and looked at page 20, selecting a line or two on that page. I then scrambled the books, and tried to match the quote to the right book. See what you can come up with.
Marcel Proust, Swann's Way
Carrie Fisher, Wishful Drinking
Barack Obama, Dreams from My Father
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
Julia Child, My Life in France
Frank McCourt, Angela's Ashes
1. "I've also been asked what I was doing in bed with a Republican. And in order to demonstrate my loyalty to the Democratic party, I tell people that I may have slept with a Republican, but I actually had sex with a Democratic senator."
2. "We went to a little place in Saint-Germain where the food was fine, although nothing compared with La Couronne (the standard by which I would now measure every eatery), and disappointigly packed with tourists."
3. (note that the paragraph starts on the previous page. I'm selecting a line in the middle)
"Even the simple act which we describe as 'seeing someone we know' is to some extent and intellectual process. We pack the physical outline of the person we see with all the notions we have already formed about him..."
4. " And from every adult he spoke to he got the same response:
'You best talk to your daughter, Mr.Dunham. White girls don't play
with coloreds in this town.' "
5."I thought I had fallen to bits before, but now (in harmony with the apparent collapse of the entire world) my life really turned to smash. I wince now to think of what I imposed on David during those months we lived together, right after 9/11 and my separation from my husband."
6. "The apartment is empty and I wander between the two rooms, the bedroom and the kitchen. My father is looking for a job, and my mother is at the hospital with Malachy. I wish I had something to eat but there is nothing in the icebox but cabbage leaves floating in the melted ice."