Pages

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dressing the Naked


There are two things we need to navigate today's world: costumes and lighting!
What? You might be surprised at this allegation. You might think I'm just joking.
No. I'm the serious type.
Though, I really enjoy Jon Steward's nightly sparring; occasional dips in Jay Leno's irresistable hair do and possible spins in his fabolous sports cars.

 The sign above is a landmark in Hollywood. I told you a story about a friend and I in that shop,  in my  memoir  entitled Hollywood Dreams.

I'm digressing.

We need costumes, from shoes to hair color/cut/enhancements, to participate in social discourse. Costumes let us in the house. As those folks found out when they leisurely strolled in and nobody stopped them at The White House.  Their costume was most appropriate. Costumes identify you as a rock star, a secretary, a CEO.

Costumes tell the world who we are, how much respect or reverence we anticipate, and how people should address us.  No wonder The Pope keeps wearing those ancient outfits and insists nuns and priests all dress alike.  He knows all about costumes.

We also need lighting.  George, right under the costume shop up there, I happen to know, used to have just a small shop. But, with much finesse and perseverance, he spread his goods all over the first storey,  insisting that lighting needs respect.  I ask you the same thing: would you go in a place with poor lighting?  Didn't you read Hemingway's short story, A Clean,Well-lighted Place? Didn't your mother teach you anything about applying your make-up with plenty of light?

You will not frequent  places that  are stingy with their lights.

In a well-lighted place nobody will cheat, rape, or serve lousy food.

I digress.

We are coming up on Fat Tuesday, the day for banquets, merriments, and the wearing of strange costumes. It is the last day before we regroup and repent. It is the last day for shedding our usual costume and don some outlandish robe that will make us feel more important, more daring, more loved, more respected, more rich, more of everything we want and don't have within our daily confines.

It is also a day when we can shed that identity we are draped with, for all to judge us, forever pinning us in place.

We can finally let our imagination  run wild.

Why, with just the right lighting, we can be Johnny Depp or Angelina Jolie for one day.

You think costumes are just for Hollywood and for Fat Tuesday?  What are you wearing today?

18 comments:

ellen abbott said...

My warmest oldest most comfortable stay at home out of the public eye clothes.

Diana said...

I like this post....I'm home sick in worn but comfy pjs...a good costume for tea and the couch!

Unknown said...

I'm wearing jeans and teeshirt..my official retirement costume!

Jinksy said...

You really want to know? - blue jeans, pink sweatshirt and green woolly jumper, plus Birkenstocks, red socks and pale blue ankle warmers, as a concession to chilly weather! I thought I'd go for the colourful approach today!

Rosaria Williams said...

It's 9:30 a.m here. I'm still in my warm robe. I plan on wearing sweat pants and wooley socks the rest of day. I'll add rain gear when I take my walk. I want everyone to know that comfort is my number one priority.

Helen said...

So wise are you .... I am wearing my St. Louis Zoo sweat shirt and work-out pants.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I'm sporting my new haircut, makes me feel younger, and wearing black yoga pants, (great for writing in), and a tunic.

My post today is related to yours, in a roundabout way, check it out.

Brian Miller said...

love it. wearing jeans and a sweatshirt today to fight off the cold....jeans are my typical costume though...

Terri Tiffany said...

Sweatshirt, sweatpants and fuzzy socks! It's cold here today in Florida!!

potsoc said...

Right now, it's 19h18 here and I'm sitting wearing a bathrobe. All day I was in jeans with an Arnold Palmer sweat shirt, my usual garb since retirement 16 years ago.
I still have my neckties and one dress shirt...just in case. I have nor worn them or a jacket and dresspants for over 8 or 9 years.

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Good one! Jeans, t-shirt, socks. boring but comfortable.

Nancy said...

Ha! I loved this post. I agree we all wear costumes and use lighting in creative ways. I watched Housewives of Orange County last night and noticed their costumes. They are all pretty much the same. Which made me wonder what my costume says about me. Let's see today it is jeans, t-shirt with ruffles, sock slippers and oh yes, a long pink bathrobe. It's a duster, of course!

rjerdee said...

Hahaha! Fun post. OK, I'll bite: Flip-flops, khaki capris, a classic white-collared shirt under a grey sweatshirt with "Colorado" printed on it.

Saretta said...

Can I really be Johnny Depp for a day? Or at least be with Johnny Depp for a day? ;-)

Lisa said...

I'm in my night costume, do you really want to know?!!

I blame on the lighting most of the time.

Kikit said...

I'm wearing my pj's rosaria! and a jacket for more warmth. :)

What About The Girl? said...

Pearls. I wear pearls which my beautiful grandmother gave me years ago. I even started wearing them to sleep. I am sleep deprived these days.

I digress.

I wear pearls, white collared shirt and a chic jacket to make me look sharp and respectable.
But I feel lousy today. But I wear this costume to conceal...

Love this post!

I_am_Tulsa said...

chanel no 5.... just joking...
I find myself worrying about lighting a lot these days with all these bags under my eyes it DOES make a difference!

happy Valentine's day!